Google Cloud Platform (GCP) is the first cloud offering for the Nero platform.
In addition to tools like Slurm and Jupyter, Nero GCP researchers can additionally access HIPAA compliant cloud native products such as BigQuery, Dataflow, Pub/Sub etc.
Make sure to check our Nero GCP cheat sheet
Cost for using Nero GCP
Cloud infrastructure costs are passed through to faculty via PTA# to cover the explicit GCP costs.
You can view your Nero GCP project billing status via the Google Cloud Console.
While Google’s price calculator may provide more specific cost estimates related to your Nero GCP usage, here are some average estimates that may be helpful:
- Google Cloud Storage: ~ $40/month/TB
- BigQuery: ~$25/month/TB for storage and $5/TB traversed for query
- Compute instance:
- 30GB of RAM, 100GB of Disk, 8vCPU’s, Python & R : ~$100/month.
- 30GB of RAM, 100GB of Disk, 8vCPU’s, Pytorch , 1 T4 GPU : $ 281.54/month.
Additional Stanford discounts (up to 18%) have not been applied to these estimates.
Prerequisites to Getting Started
Connecting to Nero GCP
You should receive a welcome email with details once your Nero GCP project has been created and is ready to use.
- Connect to the Full-Tunnel Stanford VPN (available at vpn.stanford.edu)
- Using an ssh client, ssh to your GCP project using the following command, where
<sunetid>should be replaced by your actual SUNet ID, and
<pi-sunetid>should be replaced by your pi’s SUNet ID.
$ ssh <sunetid>@<pi-sunetid>.compute.stanford.edu
Using Nero GCP
Nero GCP adheres to the Information Security Office’ Minsec Requirements due to its high-risk approved status.
Various restrictions apply, most notably:
* No root access * Network access restricted
Installing Additional Software
Our most common software offering includes Slurm and Jupyter, on request.
If other software is needed for your Nero GCP project, please contact us.